Position available: AMAP Deputy Secretary
Wed, Jun 20, 2012
AMAP – The Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme is a Working
Group under the Arctic Council. Its primary objectives are to “provide
reliable and sufficient information on the status of, and threats to,
the Arctic environment and its inhabitants, and provide scientific
advice on actions to be taken in order to support Arctic governments in
their efforts to take remedial and preventive actions relating to
contaminants and climate change”.
The international AMAP Secretariat is responsible for preparing and implementing decisions made by the Arctic Council and the AMAP Working Group. The AMAP Secretariat is located in Oslo. We are seeking a Deputy Executive Secretary, whose primary tasks are to assist the Executive Secretary in the daily operations of the Secretariat and to strengthen the scientific and technical capacity of the secretariat.
Depending on qualifications and experience, the Deputy Executive Secretary will be given tasks such as:
• Organizing and providing secretariat support to scientific assessments on circum-Arctic environmental and climate issues performed by AMAP.
• Preparing documents for and providing secretariat assistance at AMAP meetings.
• Contributing to, and providing secretariat assistance to the documentation and implementation of AMAPs monitoring programme.
• Representing AMAP at meetings when requested.
The position will require international travel. AMAP members include the eight Arctic countries and Arctic Council permanent participants, as well as partners from other countries and international organizations. An understanding of international cooperation and appreciation of different cultures, including Arctic indigenous cultures, is needed.
Qualifications and key experience requirements. Applicants should:
• Hold an advanced university degree (PhD or equivalent) in a discipline relevant to the task of AMAP.
• Have a minimum of 5-years of professional experience in a relevant field of work, preferably including experience in international cooperation.
• Be able to work with different organizations, cultures and stakeholders.
• Have good computer skills.
• Be able to work independently and take responsibility for realizing work goals, but also work collaboratively with others.
• Show initiative in planning and undertaking work tasks.
• Organized, detailed, conscientious,
• Be flexible and willing to adapt to changing demands.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are necessary, working knowledge of other Arctic language(s) will be considered an asset.
Appointment will be on a 3-year contract initially, with a potential for extension. The salary will be subject to negotiation and based on applicants experience and capabilities. For further information on AMAP activities you may contact the AMAP Secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org, +47 22 95 83 40) or consult the AMAP web site: www.amap.no.
If you believe you have the profile we are seeking, please forward your full CV and letter of application, outlining relevant experience, etc. to Lars-Otto Reiersen, AMAP Executive Secretary, email@example.com . The deadline for receipt of applications is 27 July, 2012.