UArctic Thematic Network on Global Change in the Arctic has been in operation since 2006. The host of the network is Thule Institute at University of Oulu, Finland. Network has close co-operation with Thematic Network on Health and Well-being in the Arctic.
The goal of the thematic network is to strengthen the delivery of higher education in all areas related to global change in the Arctic, both when it comes to physical processes, such as environmental change, as well as the knowledge of impacts, adaptation to change, and cultural consequences. Further, the project aims at increasing the capacity of northern universities, other higher education institutions, and indigenous peoples to participate in the knowledge generation and knowledge transfer on global change in the Arctic.
- Develop and deliver new PhD training courses under the NCM Top Level Research Initiative project "People and ecosystems in a changing world" in 2010-2012. See information on the courses here.
- Develop new PhD program on Health and Well-being in the Arctic jointly with Thematic Network on Health and Well-being in the Arctic with NCM Arctic co-operation program funding for 2012-14.
- Partner in NCM Arctic co-operation project "Arctic virtual learning tools" in 2009-2011. In the project new virtual classroom and UArctic Library will be developed and made available for all UArctic members. VLT is now up and running and can be found at www.vlt.is.
- Plan for future activities for the UArctic Thematic Network on Global Change in the Arctic including plans for future research needs and cooperation.
- Plan for northern research in relation to possible continuation of ACIA.
Arctic Virtual Learning Tools presentation in Montreal at IPY conference in 2012.
Photo: Hjalti Hreinsson, Arctic Portal